What is Socrative?
Picture this: Your students are laughing, engaged in the learning, competing against each other, and having fun, all while taking a quiz! It can happen! If you've never used Socrative before, I highly recommend it! It's an interactive student response system of quizzes and games that you can customize with your course material and that your students can access using the web or a mobile device (using the app). My students were always engaged and competitive (especially in my Sports & Entertainment Marketing class) while being assessed. Imagine that!
Watch this short informative video to see how Socrative works.
Let's say that you want your students to review for a test. Maybe you have a game you play (my kids always loved Trashketball!). Maybe you have a review sheet they complete on their own time. Consider changing it up for the next test review. Take that review sheet and convert it to a Socrative Space Race!
- Create a Socrative account and log in
- Go to "Manage Quizzes" --> "Create a Quiz" --> "Multiple Choice" (it's easier to grade than Short Answer). If your review sheet is in a Word document, it's easy to copy and paste the questions into the Socrative quiz. Otherwise, just type the questions individually.
- Save it
- Click "Space Race - Run a quiz as game".
- Select the quiz you just made of the review questions.
- Select the number of teams - I grouped my students into threes. (You can have them compete individually, but there is a limit of 10). They can either gather around a computer (easier for everyone to read the questions) or a device (cell phone or tablet). So for a class of 30 students, I had ten teams.
- Check the box to Auto-assign team colors. (It seems to work better that way).
- Click Next and tell your students to go to m.socrative.com.
- Before you give them the Room Number to join, remind them that their team space ship will only move forward if they answer the questions correctly, so they need to be ready to think hard! Now announce the Room Number and watch the space ships go!
- Display your screen to the class so they can see the live results!
- As students finish the race, tell them they can close the web page and wait until everyone is done.
- After everyone is finished, you will then click "End Activity" and "Download Report".
- Open the downloaded Excel spreadsheet to see the results. It's up to you whether to give grades or use it as a self-check.
- Share a copy of a quiz with another teacher. I'll admit, I didn't even create the first few quizzes on Socrative myself. Another marketing teacher across the district graciously shared copies of his quizzes with me. That really helped ease me into using Socrative.
- Glitch. Sometimes the students must click on an answer more than once for it to accept. It can be frustrating!
I hope you find the Socrative Space Race to be as RAD as I do!